Friday, June 11, 2010

Surprise Thursday night speed

There is a phrase "Fail to Prepare:  Prepare to Fail" and this can to mind last night when on slotting in my fin to my Mistral 135L RD Slalom I noticed that I had brought a deep tuttle fin and not a tuttle fine.  This was as I looked out on the water to see a nice Bft 3 to 4.  I then realised that I had left an ancient Starboard Go 170 (85 by 270ish) at the Lake and thinking that it would be better to get out then watch I slotted by HSM GPS 8.0m on that and headed off after fitting the deep tuttle Select Zero Racing Fin - which did not fit the Mistral's box. 

Carrying the board down to the water I was a bit put off by the weight of the Starboard after the Mistral so I had low expectations of even getting going, especially as 8.0 is not really a light wind size for chaps my size.  However, I was very pleasantly surprised that with a little gust it was off and despite the footstraps being too far in-board I managed to get just over 25 knots on it when the wind was no more than a 3 to 4Bft.  At no time did I feel properly powered up, but the board did feel a bit like a run-away bus when moving at speed, though to its credit it gybed really pretty well and fairly tight when needed.  It has got me thinking about how fast I could get the Go going... I wonder if it could do over 30 knots?  Perhaps a bigger sail and a bit more wind would see that or maybe it would top out at 27 knots.  Still it could be fund to try and fun out.

No comments:

Post a Comment