Sunday, May 9, 2010

Will the wind ever come back?

This year in the UK has to rate as the worst for wind ever!  We have had so few of our prevailing SW winds and loads of anti-cyclonic gloom.  This weekend was more of the same as the NE (cold) winds wafted in.  Absolutely no use for setting any records, but not too bad for some light wind freestyle practice.  Now, light wind freestyle is a bit like running for me; I know that its good for me, but I can not face doing it.  However, in both cases I find that if I do it several times in quick succession I sort of kinda enjoy in.  Today, I forced myself to do some light wind freestyle, so I spent a chilly hour or so (about 8C) doing:


  • Upwind 360s;
  • helitacks (one- and two-handed);
  • Sail and body 360s;
  • Duck gybes;
  • Rig 360s; and
  • Backwind gybes.


(Chris - you may need to refer to the Trictionary book to see what these are)

But I could not get any push or duck tacks.  So something to work on.

The kit for today was my 5.9 Hot Sails Maui Spyclone and my Tabou Windstyler

To see how to do light wind freestyle properly have a look at:
http://tinyurl.com/35fjyt8



2 comments:

  1. Need to get one of those books, I enjoyed looking at yours at Easter. When did you get a Tabou Windstyler and why haven't I seen it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had the Windstyler for ages - it was almost been given away by Boardwise in Cannock. Its perfect for lightwind freestyle and as a lake board (in otherwords it does not sink the moment the wind dies and it does not need a monster rig to get going)

    ReplyDelete