Thursday, May 6, 2010

Rigging - Hot Sails Maui GPS 2009 8.0m

After sailing a whole knot slower last weekend (when I rigged my sails) to the other weekend when Chris rigged my sail I thought that I needed some rigging practise.  It also seemed like a good time to add the new adjustable outhaul to the sail and see how that worked.


I am told that the idea of the adjustable outhaul is to allow the sail to be adjusted when sailing to deepen or flatten the profile of the sail, making it easier to go deep downwind or hack back upwind respectively.  Hopefully this will help with the Light Wind Speed Sailing Competition!


I had a new adjustable outhaul system from another US sail company and rigged that up to the boom in no time.  I also had a Chinook roller system to add to the clew and that coupled with the smooth dyneema rope has produced a really easy to adjust system.  It even allows for small adjustments, both in and out, with ease.


Pictures below:


The outhaul system: above, it neatly links into the Chinook boom and, below, the neat adjustable strap. (The cleat will be removed as its not needed with this system)


And the finished sail - looks good in yellow:

Full details of the Sails are at:  HSM GPS 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment